Thursday, February 28, 2008

Another Errand, or, Selling One's Memories. UPDATE!!

If anyone is following my quest to match an antique store marriage certificate with a descendant of the recorded couple, I thought I would throw up an update.

After a few days of research on the family of Mr and Mrs Reinhart, I am reasonably sure that I have located one of their grandchildren, and I wrote this letter to him tonight.

Dear XXXXXXXX

My name is XXXXXXXXX and I am writing to you regarding an ancestor of yours.

I am an avid family tree researcher and I am also interested in antiques. I have an appreciation for documents and family heirlooms, and I know what they mean to the families that are fortunate enough to have them. When I see one of these items for sale in an antique shop it bothers me, these things belong with the families that care about them.

Recently my wife and I were in an antique shop outside of Canton, Ohio and came across a beautiful framed marriage certificate announcing the union of William Reinhart and Callie Pfister on October 22, 1891 in New Philadelphia Ohio. I jotted this information down because I always like to try to match these items with the families who may appreciate them. My research indicates that these may be your grandparents. This is just something I do to put my mind at ease about these very personal items for sale.

I assure you that I am not selling this item, nor do I know the name of the shop owner who is. I did not even notice a price. If I were the shop keeper I would give you the item free of charge just because it is the right thing to do, but that is just me.

If you would like more information on this item please feel free to write. I will look up the address and phone number of this shop and send it to you. If I have written you in error, or you would like me to contact another family member, please let me know.


I don't know if I will get a response or not, but I am satisfied with the attempt. I will let you know what happens.

No comments: