Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Lower Farm

I live in the "old homestead" house on my father in law's farm. It is about 130 years old and about 15 years ago we gutted it entirely and redid it. I didn't even have running water, but it had two new fangled electric circuits. But this is for another post.

There are no less than 4 houses on the farm, two newer and two ancient. The other ancient house sits on a lot that I refer to as the "lower farm". This house has also been occupied since the mid 19th century and was one of my favorite places to metal detect. It is at the end of a long lane and is surrounded by woods and a stream. Very peaceful.

Shortly after the bottle bug struck I recalled an old dump that cascaded down a steep hill near the house, and the bug kicked into high gear. The pictures of bottles on the net that intrigued me most were the old, cork top quack medicine bottles from the mid to late 1800s. It disappointed me that all that I could find were screw top bottles.

One afternoon that fall patent med bottles began to appear in the hillside. I dug them out carefully, like an archaeologist. This went on for a month, two or three every time I went down.
The "golden age" of my collection. I will post some pics soon.

I have not found another pocket like that since. I do a little digging and much more buying now.
My wife developed an interest in antiques, and I tag along and find a nice one in a shop occasionally. Actually I think I enjoy the shops more than she does. My med collection is at about 50 bottles give or take. The hardest thing I have ever done was toss out all of those bottles from the strip mine. I still love them all.

No comments: